January is well and truly over… Break your resolutions and delve into these easy to make delicious recipes!
50g/2oz (1/2 cup) walnuts
100g/4oz (2/3 cup) milk chocolate
100g/4oz (2/3 cup) brown/demerara sugar
100g/4oz (1 cup) self-raising flour
Pinch of salt
25g/1oz (3 tbsp) raisins
1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- Chop the walnuts. Break the chocolate into pieces and put into a mixing bowl with the butter and margarine.
- Stand over a pan of hot water until the mixture has melted; allow to cool then add the sugar. Sift the flour with the salt and combine with the chocolate mixture.
- Beat the eggs, walnuts and raisins then add sufficient milk to make a soft dropping consistency.
- Spoon the mixture into a greased and floured, or lined, 20cm/8 inch square cake tin and brake in the centre of a preheated moderate oven (180oC/350oF, Gas Mark 4) for 30 minutes, or until just firm to touch.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out and leave until cold. Cut into squares. Makes 16.
110g/4oz (1 cup) butter or margarine
50g/2oz (1/3 cup) Demerara or light brown sugar
2 tablespoons golden (light corn) syrup
225g/8oz (2 & 1/4 cups) rolled oats
- Put the butter or margarine, sugar and syrup into a saucepan, heat only until the fat and sugar have melted. Add the rolled oats, mix thoroughly.
- Grease a 20cm/8inch square sandwich tin. Spoon in the rolled oat mixture and spread flat with a knife.
- Bake in the centre of a preheated moderate oven (180oC/250oF, Gas Mark 4) for about 30 minutes or until evenly golden brown.
- Cool in the tin for about 5 minutes and mark into 12 large or 18 smaller portions. Remove from tin when cool. Store in an airtight tin.