One of my flatmates in London taught me how to make this. He used to have it basically every night after work because it’s super easy to make and tastes amazing! The idea is simple: a bubbling tomato sauce with all your favourite things shoved in. This is also a great alternative to the endless pasta and rice dishes I used to quickly rustle up after work. Instead, it can be served with some rustic bread to soak up the sauce or even a mixed leaf salad.
Ingredients for 2 people
- 2 cans of chopped tomatoes
- Tomato paste/pesto
- 1 white onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 4 eggs
- Sausage or bacon (this works great as a veggie option too)
- A handful of fresh basil leaves
- Salt & pepper
- Chilli flakes
Served with rustic bread or mixed leaf salad.
- Brown the onions and the garlic in a hot cooking pan with some olive oil.
- If your using meats, add these to the pan and cook until almost done. Allowing them to bubble in the tomato sauce will ensure they absorb some of the fluid before they start to harden in the cooking process. Moreover, frying them first ensures they have a crispier and textured taste.
- Gently fry your mushrooms.
- Add the chopped tomatoes to the pan as well as two generous teaspoons of pesto or tomato paste.
- Add a mug of water to the pan and allow the mixture to boil. Stir frequently and add more water if the mixture begins to go dry.
- Season heavily with salt and pepper and add your fresh basil leaves, keeping some aside for garnishing. Add some chilli flakes to give it some heat!
- Ensuring the mixture is still quite watery, crack your eggs evenly around the pan and allow them to cook. Avoid stirring the pan at this stage to keep the eggs from breaking.
- Garnish and serve with some rustic bread or a mixed leaf salad drizzled in olive oil. Delicious!